This is my first ever blog, having learnt how to tweet, now it is time to discover how to blog!
This week it was my turn to give the presentation, the subject was:
Networking, A Duffer’s Guide
We started with a discussion of the various types of networking our businesses are involved with.
It was decided that there were many types of “networking” that we are involved with, including:
- Formal breakfast type meetings
- Seminar and training meetings
- Membership of trade organisations and professional bodies
- Social and sports meetings
- Circumstantial meetings (school playground meetings)
- Online and social media
- Going to the pub
- Recommendations from past clients
- Corporate events
- Providing talks
It was felt that many people are put off the more formal types of networking by the fear of the hard sell that can be involved with some groups. As a group we felt that real networking is about building networks with people rather than selling to people. We concluded that the most important things are:
- Bringing people together
- Networking works better for small businesses
- It must work both ways
- Providing good advice
We then had a discussion on the best way to make introductions at large networking events and came to the conclusion that going to events with people you know, so you can make introductions.